Response:

Ken, you have it exactly right. Further, under exting Federal Law
(Titles 9, 18 and 25 USC) Indians are not treated as individuals but
as members of Groups--Tribes and Nations--and furthermore,
individual Indians are typically treated not as individuals but
members of a broader collective by a whole plethora of racist
attitudes and practices by segments of the non-Indian World.

Indians were summarily declared to be U.S. citizens in 1924--not one
Indian was ever asked if he/she wanted to be summarily declared a
U.S. Citizen. The whole concept of the BIA is a Federal Agency to
deal with "foreign entities and Peoples" within the broader U.S. (Do
we have a Bureau of Caucasian Affairs or a Bureau of African-American
Affairs? Indinas could not even vote in Arizona until 1958.

The official U.S. government position at Geneva would summarily strip
Indians of collective identities and any rights exercised through any
sovereign powers (collective) in recognized and Treaty-protected
Indian lands. The Dawes Act of 1887 which turned collective and
communal Tribal lands into individualized "allotments" was in the
same veign--designed to privatize, individualize and commodify Tribal
communal lands--saleable to non-Indians--so as to summarily break and
abrogate communal lands, relations, institutions and even
identities--while racist institutions remained to treat individual
Indians as part of broader groups stereotyped, slandered and
discriminated against as whole groups with each individual member
suffering as a member of the targeted whole group.

There is also the matter of the UN Convention on Genocide. Denying
Treaty-protected "Indian Nation Status and Collective Rights" not
only violates the Vienna Convention on Treaties, it would forcibly
"transfer" Indian children as members of currently-Federal
Government-recognized groups with group rights to another group in
which they supposedly have only rights as isolated individuals
(violation of Article II)  The shere arrogance is unbelievable. Just
like the U.S. Government summarily declaring that 25% blood-quantum
is required to be recognized as a US Government approved Indian
regardless of one's recognized status within a given Tribe or
Nation--this was done to more easily facilitate aquisitions of
allotted lands that could not be passed on to non-Status Indians.

If this goes through, there will be ample grounds to impeach Clinton
far more serious than blow-jobs in the Oral Office.

Jim Craven