I'm with James Craven that Native's right to travel and trade across the
Canada-US border must be defended. Sometimes there are explicit treaties on
this; in other cases this right, like other national rights, they have not
yet been recognized by the government, but they should still be
unconditionally defended. (I also look forward to "a world without borders"
- for everyone, but that is a slightly different issue...)

On the other hand, I agree with Ken Hanley on defending the Wheat Board as
a means of defending farmers against capitalist market irrationality and
the Cargill-type monopolists of the world. Unfortunately, some farmers in
Canada and in the U.S. mistakenly think the Wheat Board is the problem,
just as some workers think the union is the problem. It does not help when
the leadership is bad, but a bad union is still better than no union, and
the point is to make it a good union.

Also many Natives are farmers and many farmers are Native. Actually, what
motivated me to write this was just picking up a fascinating book by Sarah
Carter, _Lost Harvests_, which looks at how Indians in the prairies in
Canada DID begin to farm (or tried to, but were defeated by the Indian
Act., etc.).

I don't know how, concetetely, this particular clash of rights should be
resolved, but I think Ken agreed the Wheat Board should exempt such Native
trade, which seems right. It is not likely to injure the larger interests
of farmers. A phrase from Raymond Williams come to mind, quoted by David
Harvey in his recent book: "The defence and advancement of certain
particular interests, properly brought together, are in fact the general
interest."

I completely agree with Jim that Canadian nationalism has no place here.
And IMHO the attack on the Wheat Board is not the result of the FTA or
NAFTA but, primarily, Canadian capitalist interests. But I also think that
saying "the Canadian Government is more often an out-and-out whore of US
imperialism" is doubly wrong. Canada is itself imperialist, and this gets
lost when terms like whore are used. I assume it is a derogatory reference
here, which I also think wrongs whores.

Bill Burgess