Jim Craven:
>Subject the targeted employee to systematic, calculated and
>repeated provocations that would make Mother Teresa go postal and then when
>the person reacts, use the reactions to try to show mental instability,
>insubordination or being a threat in the workplace without any reference of
>course, to the provocations to which the person was subject;

This reference to going "postal" reminded me of an extremely chilling
incident which is taking place in Texas as we speak. From what I can
gather, a completely innocent person is facing a stiff prison term for
simply making this kind of reference in email. Something tells me that
there are signs of government repression gathering momentum around the use
of email. That is why it is important to fight for free speech on the
Internet. In a time of growing class polarization, one of the few
uncensored mediums will be the Internet and the powers-that-be are
frightened by that. China has been doing everything it can to suppress
email communications, but there are too many holes in the dike. Our goal
should be to remove the dike entirely.

----

The New York Times

Postal Worker Guilty in Threat Via E-Mail

LAREDO, Tex., Dec. 12

A United States Postal Service worker is facing up to five years in prison
for sending E-mail to a co-worker in which he threatened to "go postal" and
set off a "shootout at the O.K. Corral."

The postal worker, John Murillo, was convicted by a Federal jury on Friday
of transporting a threat across state lines. Prosecutors said the Internet
message, even though it was sent to a friend who lived across town,
actually passed through Tennessee, Georgia and New Jersey before reaching
its destination.

"They are trying everything to make me go postal," the message read in
part. "This Mexican can only take so much. You kick a dog so much and
sooner or later that chain will snap. I have been very patient with them
but I am tired and making plans.

"Judgment day will come. It will be a shootout at the O.K. Corral."

In the five-day trial, the prosecutor, Mary Lou Castillo, portrayed Mr.
Murillo, 48, as an enraged, alcoholic loner dangerously close to a
psychological collapse, The Laredo Morning Times reported.

The trial included testimony by Mr. Murillo's friends and former
co-workers, including William Espinoza, who received the message. Mr.
Espinoza turned the message over to postal inspectors.

Mr. Espinoza testified that he was "shocked" when he received the message
on April 18. But under cross-examination, he admitted that he had laughed
when he read it.

The public defender, Juan R. Flores, told jurors that the case was about
freedom of speech. Mr. Murillo said that he had never planned to take any
action. Still, he conceded that his message could have angered postal
service officials.

"I don't even have a gun," Mr. Murillo said after jurors announced their
verdict. "But governments have been brought down just by words and I was
putting out a lot of words."

Mr. Murillo is scheduled to be sentenced early next year.

Copyright © 1998 LEXIS®-NEXIS®, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights
reserved.

Louis Proyect