Tom Kruse raised the World Bank report that FDI in LDCs has a modest effect
on jobs in the DCs, and Micheal P. noted that outsourcing (which may not
even involve FDI) may be a more common vehicle for DC job loss.

It seems to me the outsourcing issue is better discussed in terms of
international trade than FDI. However, I agree the report may miss a lot of
impacts if it relied on the convention definition of FDI, which includes a
lot less than I used to assume. My reading of the fine print indicates that
FDI data, for example, excludes:

- MNC investments that are financed by borrowing within the host country,
e.g. from host country banks (or even foreign banks operating in that
country).
- MNC investments financed by re-invested profits of subsidiaries in the
host country (unlike the US, many countries exclude retained earnings from
annual flows of FDI, because they do not cross a national border).

So, if Bombardier of Canada uses profits from its auto seat cover plant in
Bolivia plus more cash borrowed from the local Royal Bank of Canada to
start producing auto engines for export to Canada, this is not 'FDI'.

This topic gives me the excuse to ask about another issue: How much outward
FDI is actually by third parties, e.g. how much of the FDI from the UK to
the EC is actually carried out by US subsidiaries in the UK?

In Canadian balance of payments accounting this used to be called
"non-resident equity in Canadian investments abroad", but they no longer
keep track of it. At last count it was about 30% of total outward Canadian
FDI.

Any ideas or comparative studies on what this number would be in other
countries?

Bill Burgess

At 12:38 PM 15/12/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Settlements may be correct in so far as they go.  The norm is not for a
company
>to remove jobs via direct investment in a facility abroad.
>
>Outsourcing is a more likely route.  Outsourcing need not involve direct
>investment.  Besides, the Bank statement is unclear if t would even pick
up the
>direct investment that leads to outsourcing.
>
>For example, GM wants to outsource an auto part.  I invest in a shop in
Bolivia