At 15:58 15/12/98 -0500, Frank D.wrote:
> [...]
>
>Following are some rather startling numbers taken from CIA World Fact >Book
>of 1997, and the Statistical Abstract of the United States 1997
>>
>>US GDP    (1996)    $7,576.1 billion
>>US Defense Spending  (1996)   $267.0 billion
>>
>>US Consumer spending on Alcoholic Beverages   (1994)  $85.5 Billion
>>
>>US Consumer spending on Tobacco Products (1994)        $47.7 billion
>>

>>***********IRAQ GDP (1996)     $42 billion.***************
>>

>>The Philadelphia Inquirer of Nov 18, 1998 reported that the Gulf War cost
>>$61 billion and "…by private budget analysts' estimates, roughly $50
>>billion of the annual $270 billion in U.S. military spending goes toward
>>maintaining the Persian Gulf deployment and keeping the Iraqi president in
>>line."
>In Pen L-1474    Ajit  wrote:
>
>       >But don't you think that Sadam has remained in power because of the US
>>policy. When in history a dictator or even a "leader" has lost a war in
>such a >complete fashion and has remained in power? I think Sadam has
>remained in >power because the sanctions for the Iraqi means that the war
>is not over. >Sadam is still fighting a war, and that's why he will not be
>removed by either >the people or the elites. Remove the sanction, and i
>tell you Sadam will fall >soon. People will say, now we have to build our
>country, we need new politics, >new leadership. Cheers, ajit sinha  Ajit
>sinha:
>                                            *****************************
>Ajit, You may be correct, I just don't know. I would however, like to
>elaborate on a few additional points.  First, I think we all err in calling
>it a war. It was not a "war" and to call it such ennobles it with an aura
>of high morality and valor. It was gargantuan turkey shoot in which the
>Pentagon tested out its newest toys: that the media glorified; over which
>members congress struggled to outdo each other in displaying patriotism;
>and that the American public heartily applauded as it watched the  "smart
>bombs" rain down on thousands of Iraqi civilians and virtually defenseless
>young draftees.
>.
>I am at a loss to understand the attention given to Sadam. He poses
>absolutly no threat to world security. The Israelis bombed his only nuclear
>facility back in 1981.  In the turkey shoot of Jan and Feb 1991, according
>to the Pentagon, 80% of Iraq's military capability was demolished together
>with virtually the entire industrial infrastructure. And since the turkey
>shoot, UN inspection teams have fine combed every square inch of Iraqi land
>and real-estate even (according to the Iraqi ambassador to the UN} entering
>office buildings and stores and searching women's pocket books, The
>inspection team claims to have destroyed 90% of the remaining Iraqi missile
>capacity (antique Scuds no doubt) and many times more chemical and
>biological weapons than were destroyed in the turkey shoot.
_____________

I agree with what you say, but I am thinking more from the point of view of
an Iraqi citizen than an US citizen. Let's suppose I'm an average Iraqi who
has bought into the "sadam, our great leader" slogan. This great leader of
mine takes my country to war with the US and the Western world to show the
world the mother of all wars. And then does not even fight it. Gets about
quater of a million soldiers directly killed, the country bombed to stone
age for nothing. What an idiot this leader turns out to be!

Now, I don't know whether the US policy is purposely designed to keep Sadam
in power or not. Him being in power is definitely serving a purpose. It
gives them an excuse to have their military presence in the region, and
keep a check on the Russians. My general sense is that the policy is not
purposive. Even though the US thinks of itself as "rational" and conducts
its business in the interest of its "national interest", it has a strong
"irrational" trait of machoism and ego. They have to show to the world that
it is them who have finally forced Sadam out of power. The bully boys have
to reinforce their ego.

I do agree with what you say about Russia below. It is a time-bomb, and
probably worse than Hitler's Germany in making. Cheers, ajit sinha