Marx in volume II shows that capitalist equilibrium with growth is possible,
but that it is unlikely because of the co-ordination problems between the
sectors of the economy.

Arrow and Debreu using neo-classical modeling techniques show something
similar. That static equilibrium is possible. But that the conditions are so
onerous as to be unlikely.

Leontiev was correct to connect his research with Marx. There is a continuous
development of the input-output model from Quesnay to Marx to Leontiev,
although each of them put it to a different use than the others. Leontiev was
familiar with the efforts in the Soviet Union during the 1920s to develop a
model of the economy that could be used for planning purposes, and those
planners drew their inspiration from Marx.

Rational choice models has a long pre-history, they go back possibly to John
Duns Scottus and certainly to Marcellus of Padua. The Bernoulli's were involved
and Condilliac should also be consulted. Smith's contribution was actually
quite small on this particular question.

Rod

--
Rod Hay
[EMAIL PROTECTED]