I may be trying to create a problem where none exists, but I worry about
how we understand and respond to recent cracks in the mainstream
free-market consensus.  It is of course very satisfying to see criticisms
of the IMF/WB or free market policies from unexpected sources.  And groups
like the Heritage foundation (and Republican party) get a lot more
attention when they attack the IMF then when we do.  Similarly a statement
by Krugman calling for exchange controls puts the issue to the top of the
global political agenda, while left calls for regulation of capital flows
were rarely even given a mention at the end of an article.  So, not only
is it satisfying, these criticisms help to raise the visibility of
alternative policies (although not always of our arguments).

But, what now.  We all know that the Heritage Foundation dislikes the IMF
for reasons different than we do.  For example, it just wants the free
market to work better.  And Krugman's criticism of unregulated currency
movements is not tied to a vision of social transformation.  Even the
announcement by Malaysia that it will introduce controls, while welcome
and wise, does not represent a fundamental shift in political vision or
economic strategy.

So, in short, what can/should we do to try and build on these
developments, to take advantage of these recognitions of market failure so
as to widen the debate to include a critique of capitalism itself.  I fear
that we might end up just quoting from the Krugman's and Stiglitz's,
giving them added credibility, only to find ourselves at a dead end (with
no added public credibility or voice) when they shift gears (as they will)
institutional positions.

So my question: in what ways, if any, should this current
trend/development influence our own political efforts in this period.
Should we just ignore it, promote it, take aim at it for its limited
understanding?  Comments or reactions appreciated.

Marty Hart-Landsberg