Just a few observations from someone struggling to decise whether to become
an academic or not (partly due to the reasons that Louis outlines):

First, in response to this:

> Since they say that academics should not make value judgments, that is one
> of the main reasons I never went into academia. Two books have just come to
> my attention that I will now make value judgments on.

Just to note that "academics" make value judgments all the time. In fact,
part of the problem with academia is that many academics just overlay their
value judgments on what they study. In a sense, that's only human, but this
is the whole problem: academic work is human work, but is often taken out
of the realm of human activity and reified into some transcendant or
abstractly objective.

I just had my students read an article by Thomas Buckley entitled "'The
Little History of Pitiful Events': The Moral and Epistemological Contexts
of Kroeber's California Ethnology" just published in a new book on the
history of anthropology.  Buckley very strongly demonstrates how Kroeber's
own value judgments influenced his work as an anthropologist and how his
ideas both emerged from and became entangled with social, cultural, and
political circumstances of early-20th century California and the new
discipline of anthropology. Buckley does a good job of showing how
Kroeber's ambivalent, often elitist ideas of morality influenced the sort
of knowledge he produced about California Indians, how it ignored the
suffering and genocidal fervor generated by the invasion of California by
Euro-Americans in the mid-19th century. In fact, Kroeber's entire theory of
culture is colored by a combination of metaphysical optimism and emotional
distanciation that not only ignored but derided and devalued the
experiences of Indians.

The real kicker is, Kroeber isn't exactly evil. Like a lot of
anthropologists, he just couldn't handle his own experiences, so he created
a theory and philosophy that he could use to make sense of them and use
them.  The problem, of course, is that this abets the evil that others do,
The real problem with a lot of academic work is that it doesn't take a
situated, principled stand, nor does it address the problems of its
reception or effects.

Axtell is a classic case. Not only does he make statements such as those
that Louis outlines, but his scholarship itself perpetuates distortions and
fails to ask tough questions about power, oppression, and the complexity of
politics and culture that characterized the colonial era. My reading of
Axtell's work, in particular *The European and the Indian*, is that for the
most part there was an occassionally bloody but generally happy meeting of
cultures in the colonial era. In fact, based on what he talks about in his
work on "white Indians," the Native population takes on the task of turning
the hapless colonists into Americans, as if they had all hunkered down one
day and laid out some sort of tough-love curriculum for their guests. It is
in large part a twist on the Noble Savage stereotype. It looks much nicer
because Axtell packs his work with historical details, but it misses a host
of issues that colonial American history has yet to address, and I think
leaves the average college student feeling pretty good about the whole thing.

That to me is the real crime.

Kehoe is in many senses the anti-Axtell, although she is certainly one
academic who is not afraid to make value judgments! I saw her give a paper
on Morgan at an anthropoogical meeting a few years ago and she did
everything short of calling him a scumbag. She did a very precise,
polemical, and impassioned analysis of of Morgan's thought and life,
analysis in the true sense of taking it all apart to see how it works. She
razed many treasured chestnuts about LHM, and looking out over the audience
(I was to present right after her) I saw shock, indignation. and a few
smirks and nods. Everyone clapped, but I think some folks had to force
their hands together.

Kehoe does exactly what Axtell refuses to do, which is to take a stand
*within* her work, and to use it to shake people up. Her short book on the
Ghost Dance was one of the reasons I found anthropology potentially useful.
She was able to make her moral stance clear while telling the story of the
Ghost Dance in all of its complexity and humanity. While her work was
considered "ethnohistory," I felt she was really doing anthropology, really
trying to understand why human beings do what they do. She seems to take
the idea of ethnohistory and turn it into a site of struggle, a place where
the often placid rules and assumptions of American history can be broken
and shown up for their deep ethnocentrism and mythologizing tendencies.

Kehoe is a great example of academics properly done.

Finally, there's more information on Morgan's ideas in Joan Vincent's book
*Anthropology and Politics*, (1990: U. of Arizona), especially in the first
half of chapter 1.

Cheers,

John Stevens PhD Student, Cornell University
Contributing Editor, *Native Americas* magazine

Louis Proyect