We don't need to get into name-calling here, but the discussion does
raise an interesting idea.  The word orthodox is used either to do mean
somebody, or to proudly set oneself apart from a larger group, sort of
like gay people declaring themselves to be queer.

I've never known anybody to declare herself or himself an orthodox
Marxist, although many are quick to point out one sort of deviation or
another.  Supposedly the person who declares the other to be someone who
deviates from the truth has access to the truth and thus can measure how
far the other person has deviated.

I've never known anybody to declare herself or himself to be dogmatic.

In short, the terms orthodox and dogmatic are used merely to denigrate
somebody else's ideas.

In that sense, Carrol is correct in saying that orthodox Marxism exists
only in the eyes of those who oppose Marxism.  Nonetheless, some people
adopt a purer than though stance in projecting their own understanding
of Marx.  In my experience, such people generally do not have much
understanding of Marx -- but that could be a symptom of my own
dogmatism.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department