You and CArroll responnd to sharp criticism with accusations of Red-baiting,
and then have the chutzpah to reproach me for ad hominem attacks. Of course
Marx was nota n orthodix Marxist. He was, as he said when he encountered the
phenonomenon of orthodox Marxism, not a Marxist at all. He welcomed all
scientific criticism. The defining charctertistic of an orthodox marxist is
not  her adherence to a  particular substantive doctrine, but rather that she
doesn't; she treats Marx and her favorite Marxists as scriputural. She does
nor ask: is it true? Rather she asks, Is it consistent with the holy writ? If
I thought all or even most Marxism was like that, I would not bother with it
at all. But too many of them are. However, I find this discussion fruitless
and I end my participation in it now.

In a message dated 6/25/00 3:28:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,