At 09:01 PM 6/29/00 -0700, you wrote:

>>>Brad DeLong, who *likes* his new dishwasher *a* *lot*...
>>
>>There's a good comment by Richard Powers in his novel, GAIN, where the
>>protagonist wonders if the dishwasher is really worth it. After all, she
>>has to clean the dishes _before_ she puts them in the washer. Then  she
>>has to scrape off the gunk that was hardened on the plates by the high
>>temperatures.

Brad says:
>But that's why I like it. You don't have to pre-wash the plates, and it
>gets them *clean*.

I heard an expert on this subject speaking on US National Public Radio (one
of their consumer-oriented shows). She said unequivocally that the makers
of dishwashers who claim that their products can clean dishes that haven't
already been washed by hand are _lying_. That fits with my experience,
though I don't have experience with many types of dishwashers.

>I also like my ceiling fan...

I like ceiling fans too. But my preference for them has been intensified by
global warming, which has encouraged El Niņo and La Niņa and led to
unseasonably warm weather here in the City of the Angels...

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine