Michael and Rob are right to emphasise the importance of water and no-one
who has made a study of the fate of the Ogallala aquifer can fail to be
impressed by the profligacy with which modern capitalism uses up our common
birthright. But study of the relative issues does suggest that energy crisis
is more serious, dramatic, and full of social content as well as political
immediacy. They are both aspects of the same common process of the
devastation of nature, but energy famines are more serious, even given the
horrors of salinisation, topsoil loss and the known propensity of a warmer
atmosphere to dry out topsoils orders of magnitude more rapidly.

To hang or to be shot are neither of them inviting prospects.

Mark Jones
http://www.egroups.com/group/CrashList