I would make some comments, relatively naive, about about pomo that I hope the
more informed on the list could respond to.

I think there is tremendous "translation" problems surrounding post-modernism
arising from
a variety of contextual origins.

1) "Pomo" arises out of a discourse in Continental Philosophy.  This means to
some extent
its critiques of other forms of intellectual discourse aren't strictly
relevant to and/or are over generalized from discourses that are embedded in
an Anglo-American philosophical
culture and whose critiques are probably formulated more clearly by other
critical traditions.

An example:
Some people on the list diss Richard Rorty for being to moderate but I think
his style
of neo-pragmatist\post-modern eschewal of philosophy (or more perhaps
precisely metaphysics)
is exactly the sort of "secularism" that is necessary to avoid intellectual
paralysis.  It
is this sort of scepticism which is a positivie aspect of post-modernism.  In
America, we don't have to be on guard against the "will to power" among
Hegelians or phenomenologists, rather
the chief danger posed by intellectuals here is by those who claim the
authority of science
to push their ideologies.

Because post-modernism (which also includes post-structuralism, mainly for
historical reasons) is originally a philosophic movement, there is a
particular danger when
adopted by "cultural critics".  Philosophy can be thought of as have two
distinct
modes: negative and positive, ie, ideas used to critique other ideas and ideas
that
claim to contain positive knowledge about the world.  Historically, a large
part of
the positive domain has consists of metaphysics but to some extent arguably
includes
parts of psychology, language and social theory.  Unfortunately, positive
philosophy
has largely been a failure and the few examples where useful conceptions of
the
world have come out of philosophy, they have quickly been taken over by
scientific
disciplines.

Continental philosophy, where the most recent unassailable assertion is
probably "cogito
ergo sum",  has historically invested alot of effort into understanding  the
world through reason alone, ie positive philosophy, also known as rationalism.
In my estimation, the fact that post-modernism starts out in continental
philosophy, even if as a critique, is, not meaning to pun, a very bad sign.

When post-modernism becomes a basis for theory used in a social science
context, the assertions that post-modernism contains insight into how culture
and
power and the mind work have to be taken with more than a grain of salt. In
part
this scepticism is deserved because
pomo theory takes as a given (or sometimes as an object of critique) bodies of
theory
such as Marxism (of course), Freudanism, structuralism, phenomology and
semiotics.
Each of these which wrestle their own theorectical and methodological
problems.

-Paul Meyer