louis wrote:

>...Felix Guattari...was a psychoanalyst ...
>

>Their first
>collaboration was the 1972 "Anti-Oedipus". Massumi interprets this
work as
>a polemic against "State-happy or pro-party versions of Marxism".

massumi does not reduce 'anti-oedipus' to a polemic against statist
marxism.  'anti-oedipus' is forst and foremost a polemic against
psychoanalyis, as the title declares.  a particular kind of
psychoanalyisis which they see as reducting everything, including
resistance and opposition, into a repetition of the oedipal model.
they deliver a polemic against statist marxism becuase they see it as
a recurrence of hegel's 'philosophy of right' within marxism.

>Their approach to fascism is totally at odds with the historical
>materialist approach. Thinkers such as Marx and Trotsky focus on the
class
>dynamics of bourgeois society. Bonapartism is rooted in the attempt
of the
>French bourgeoisie in 1848 to stave off proletarian revolution.

and, if you had read more carefully, then you would have realised that
their position is really not that different.  first, they go to great
lengths to distinguish between different kinds of fascism: a
paranoid-fascism which is resorted to as the last ditch attempt to
stave off a perceived threat to identity and self-possession,
including 'having' (ie., property) as the premise of identity.

>Deleuze and Guattari see fascism as a permanent feature of social
life.

no.  if anything, they could be accused of being too optimistic.

>Class is not so important to them.

no.  in fact, ways of being in capitalist society is exactly their
topic.

>They are concerned with what they call
>"microfascism", the fascism that lurks in heart of each and every one
of
>us. Ooooh, scary stuff.

their term micro-fascism is not continuous with fascism as such, or
paranoid-fascism, as i noted.  micro-fascism refers to a tendency
within oppositional groupuscules to become that which they hate, to
mimic the paranoia and aggressivity of fascism as the seeming
condition of being oppositional.  that is, they are concerned with the
repetition of the ideologies and practices of domination within
oppositional groups themselves - also what becomes of opposition when
it transmutes into the Party of Order.

>"Since the 1960's, new collective subjectivities have been affirmed
in the
>dramas of social transformation. We have noted what they owe to
>modifications in the organization of work and to developments in
>socialization; we have tried to establish that the antagonisms which
they
>contain are no longer recuperable within the traditional horizon of
the
>political. But it remains to be demonstrated that the innovations of
the
>'60s should above all be understood within the universe of
consciousnesses,
>of desires, and of modes of behaviour."

and, how would this fragment from 'communists like us' read as
anything more than a locating of changes in forms of working class
subjectivity in changes in the labour process as well as changes in
the forms of reproduction of working class subjectivity in things like
schooling?  you and i may disagree with their conclusions - i think
they are wildly optimistic in claiming that we are beyond
recuperation - but i don't think it is so easy to claim they have
nothing to offer.  in any case, both lenin and trotsky regarded
defeatism as a key problem, and their use of triumphalist rhetoric
here is not exactly outside that tradition.

>She started showing more of an interest in Marxism
>after Derrida did.

which goes slightly against your fears that deridda and others are
seducing people away from marx, doesn't it?  be happy.

>But she is not reading the 18th Brumaire. She is reading
>Bataille, Deleuze/Guattari and Simone Weil.

and she might get round to reading the 18th brumaire if she didn't
have the impression of marx that third or fourth internationalism has
bequeathed us.  maybe it also worth remembering that in the 18th
brumaire, marx said: "The social revolution of the nineteenth century
can only create its poetry from the future, not from the past."  negri
and guattari take this very seriously.   sometimes so seriously that i
think i should be reading them only after having partaken of various,
very synthetic, substances.   but they are certainly on the team; and
a way into marxism for people who want their revolutions as movement
rather than repetition.

angela