Quoth Ken Hanly:
>  And doesn't the press play up every case where there is a rip-off
> of the welfare system?
> Show photos of someone arriving to collect a welfare check in a Cadillac...
> and so on ad nauseam?..So the working stiff gets an entirely warped
> impression of people on welfare..
> There doesn't seem to be much appeal to any complex psychology here.
> Working class taxpayers simply don't like being ripped off and seeing their
> money misused. The workers are a victim of selective reporting but the
> psychology involved doesn't seem  particularly complex...

And what about the racist component?  Most of the working class is white,
and in the face of statistics goes on believing with surly resentment
that welfare is basically the mass-production of fatherless black kids.
"The end of welfare as we know it" addressed this image with a knowing
wink, and we don't yet know how easily the stake may be removed from
its wily heart.
                                                                 valis