Michael is right.  In the case of Canadian water, we can control
usage through community controls which are determined through a
political process, not a 'free' market (though the controls may also
include prices.)  However, as many of us fear, NAFTA may be utilized
to force Canada to give up controls and commodify water; i.e. common
property will be converted into private property and Canada will lose
control of its water utilization.  To answer Ken, I do believe there
is a very good chance that NAFTA could be used to do this.  I am
almost certain that  the MAI would have made protection of the
Canadian water supply impossible.  But then I have always argued that
NAFTA and the MAI had little to do with free trade but a lot to do
with the expropriation by multinational capital of public property
rights.

Paul
Paul Phillips,
Economics,