My reading of Marx's real and formal subsumption agrees with Jim Divine's. The
following is a message I sent to Michael and Tom off-line about specific case
that I am working on. Looks like it might be of interest to others, too.

=================================
Greetings,

If you got other responses suggesting literature, could you please forward to
me as
well.

The situation Tom described is exactly what I am working on in my dissertaion
right
now. I did my fieldwork in the machining trade in Taiwan. Taiwanese machinists,
as
well as many other workers, are highly receptive of the idea of becoming an
independent enterpreneur. The benefit of "de-alienation" was prompted to me by
my
informants time and again. Yet in many instances this ideal seems illusory.

A colleague of mine works on the traditional carpenters. They are truly in the
situation that Tom describes: in full control of their own time and labor
process
and pretty scornful of the bosses (merchants). Yet the mahcining trade and
other
decentralized modern industry doesn't appear to be the case. Firstly, the
independent machien shops do not sell commoidities. They perform segmentst of
the
labor process for producing commodities. Milling a groove on a peice of steel,
for
instance. They can't really sell the groove to anybody on the market except the

merchant who brought that peice of steel to their  shops. Secondly, while they
do
control over their (and their one or two hired hands') labor process, the
overall
process of producing a commodity is in the hands of the merchants. Thirdly, the

merchants do have some (although more subdued) authority over the independednt
shop
owners. They come to the shops, sit on the bench drinking tea all day demanding
that
his goods be delivered sooner. Thus, in many instacnes, independent machinists
complained to me that they are actually still the hired hands of the merchants
in
some sense.

My reading of Marx's "missing chapter" on formal and real subsumption of labor
is
that this latter conditionis what he means by formal subsumption--a slight
departure
from the pre-capitalist relations and a step shy of full-fledged capitalist
relations, while the case of the carpenters is still petty-commodity
production. One
interesting fact Marx talks about is that in formal subsumption, labor power is
not
interchangable, while in real subsumption, they are. In this reagard, those who
quit
factory job and open their own shop can become worse off because they are tied
the production equipment they bought. Instead of being free to hop from one
factory
to another seeking higher pay or fleeing from abusive management, the
enterpreneur
now have to work his/her butt off to make payment for the machine, and absorb
most
of the losses when the business of his/her choosing is in a market down turn.

As Tom observes in Bolivia, Taiwanese workers, especially men, tend to go
independent as sson as the first chance arrives. And when their shop go under,
they
simply go back to the factory and save for the next chance. Some critics of
Piore
and Sable's Prouhdonian praise of "flexible specialization" point this tendency

toward patriarchal ideology. I am not sure this explains a lot. Nor, of course,
does
P&S's suggestion that the despersed structure is simply more effecient.

In Taiwan, the lure of going independent is considered by labor organizers as a
big
problem. Male workers especially lack pereserverence in union struggles
compared to
their women coworkers partly because they always consider the proletarian
position
is trnaistory. I am really curious what does Tom observed about the women
workers in
Bolivia.

Hsin-Hsing