Tom Kruse writes: >>> I've just reviewed Marx on "formal" vs. "real"
subsumption of labor to  capital, the former understood as "...capital
[making] use of noncapitalist  modes of production while leaving the means
of production in the hands of  the producers and leaving internal processes
such as self-explotation and  exploitation of unremunerated family labor in
place." (Wilson 1998:7) <<<

I replied: >>I don't think that's it. I would call that
semi-proletarianization, a partial insertion of capitalism into other modes
of exploitation.<<

Angela writes: >this may well explain certain instances in terms of uneven
development, the incompleteness of capitalism in the periphery, and it may
even be what tom had in mind when asking about this.  but what about
occassions where there is a kind of reversion to the kinds of labour
processes marx referred to as formal subsumption: personalised command, a
lengthening of the working day, sweated labour, bonded labour, even a
'reversion' to labour processes that are labour intensive in small-scale or
home work?<

Well, I don't see any contradiction between "partial insertion of
capitalism into other modes of exploitation" and the formal subsumption of
labor by capital that Angela describes above. In fact, they do seem to go
together. But it's good to start with a clear idea of how Marx used the
concepts before modifying and/or applying them. I was only trying to do the
initial clarification.

>maybe i am confused as well, but it does seem to me that in marx there is
a sense in which the shift from absolute to relative surplus value occurs
as a kind of chronological shift, assuming we are talking of say britain or
australia. as i said, i don't think there is any need to commit to these
concepts as being mutually exclusive.  but tom's remarks point to a
relation, which i think might be pertinent, between the conditions of
structural adjustment and the re-introduction of forms of the labour
process which are more akin to the character of formal than real
subsumption that marx described.<

I don't think that there's a simple linear progression from formal to real
subjection of labor by capital. In fact, in my research on the Great
Depression's onset in the US, I argue that it's quite possible that the
economy's collapse encouraged a regression in the direction of merely
formal subsumption. Instead of introducing new technology and the like, the
emphasis shifted dramatically to longer work days, fear-driven increases in
labor intensity, and lower real wages. The same occurs, it seems, as a
result of the conditions of structural adjustment programs. The same seems
to be happening (in a more moderate way so far) in the US as part of the
whole neoliberal movement.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Faculty/JDevine/jdevine.html