Barkley,
  I know you trace the problem back to the 89 elimination of
Kosovo's autonomy and to Milosivic's policies, but I do think that is
something of an oversimplification.  I was in Yugoslavia around that
time staying with the senior civil servant in the Slovenian foreign
affairs department and I can remember a long 3 hour discussion
over what was happening in Kosovo and in Serbia and in
Yugoslavia during the accellerating economic crisis and the impact
on the other republics in the federation.  Also at issue was the
federal fund for the development of the lesser developed regions --
the last major redistribution fund for regional development which
was one of the grievances that Slovenia and Croatia had with the
federation -- they were big net contributors of many of the funds
going to Kosovo and there were all sorts of allegations of
misallocation of the funds by the Kosovan authorities (e.g. the
building of the huge, ornate though quite beautiful, library in
Pristina) rather than it going into economic development.  That is,
the fund was being used for nationalist monuments rather than
development.
  My own investigation into the fund and the development planning
in Kosovo indicated two things -- that the federal fund, because of
the principle of self-management and the autonomy of Kosovo,
could not determine the use of the funds and, secondly, that the
Kosovan economic planners had little or no conception of
development planning and I found little evidence that they could in
fact allocate the funds in a rational or developmental manner.
  Secondly, of course, the Tito constitution had deliberately
established a concensus machinery such that Serbia could not
take any action without the approval of Kosovo which was blocking
Serbia's attempt to deal with the crisis -- an attempt that to my
mind was wrongheaded and doomed to failure in any case.
Milosevic used this as the reason for ending the autonomy which it
also did with Vojvodina with little or no similar opposition.
Milosevic was also being pushed in a nationalist direction by Seselj
and Draskovic on the right-nationalist side of the spectrum.  This is
not to say that Milosevic was right or that he is a nice guy --
merely that his actions were propelled by the economic and
political crisis engineered by the IMF, Germany and the US.

However, all that is not the point of my critique of Green.  Rather it
is his claim that the KLA represents the revolutionary  working-
class trying to overthrow the fascist imperialists.  As you well
know, the albanian nationalists are hardly the bastion of
progressivism, particularly with respect to women's rights.  In any
case, it appears that a deal has been reached but I do hope that
any peacekeeping force is not a NATO one but rather a UN or
contact group force including Russian troups.  But that I gather is
yet to be negotiated.

Paul
Paul Phillips,
Economics,