<< Maggie, my problem is not with pomos who do their own thing. It is really
 with attempts to create a hybrid of Marxism and postmodernism such as Roger
 Burbach, Stanley Aronowitz, Antonio Callari and Doug Henwood are doing. A
 Monthly Review from a month or so ago has a sharply critical review of
 Burbach and Kargalitsky's new book by Chris Rude, a NYC URPE activist and
 professor. I posted comments to PEN-L by Steve Chodos who is sympathetic to
 Burbach. (My understanding is that Kargalitsky has subsequently stepped
 back from many of the more extreme positions of Burbach.) Here is a NACLA
 article by Burbach that MR also attacked when it first appeared. It is
 about the most succinct packaging of pomo-Marxism that I've ever seen.

hi Louis, I am unfamiliar with many of the names you cite, though I have some
familiarity with Callari and of course Doug Henwood.  I don't think that
bringing marxism forward to incorporate different issues such as gender, race
and new conceptualizations of class are at all negative, let me rephrase, I
think some of this "hybridization" is extremely positive.  I have had a few of
my students read WALL STREET and push them to look at a variety of left
issues, many of which are written by authors with tremendous conflicts.  I
have downloaded the article you sent, and will read it.  However, I do not see
why these differences have to come to such extreme blows, the left as
fragmented as it is only addresses itself in these battles and loses sight of
the main enemy -- the bourgeoisie.  It reminds me of what happens from time to
time in the phone co.  Union members begin attacking each other over arguments
only they understand and the company uses the fray to get over big time.  I
really think that arguments should be that, arguments, not battles.  battles
should be saved for the real enemy.  maggie coleman [EMAIL PROTECTED]