--------------8DB0761BFF68CC82D6EF5BC1

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 916-898-5321
E-Mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--------------8DB0761BFF68CC82D6EF5BC1

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:37:02 -0800
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Sid Shniad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BANK OF JAPAN PUSHES SHORT-TERM RATES NEAR ZERO

The Globe and Mail      Report on Business      February 18, 1999

BANK OF JAPAN PUSHES SHORT-TERM RATES NEAR ZERO=20

        Move bolsters perceptions the government in Tokyo has=20
        exhausted conventional means of boosting its economy=20
=20
        Bill Spindle, Jathon Sapsford=20
        The Wall Street Journal, Tokyo=20

        The Bank of Japan drove short-term interest rates to almost=20
zero yesterday, the most recent indication the bank has begun a=20
shift from conventional interest rate policy to focus on expanding=20
the country's money supply.=20
        The move helped drive the yield on the benchmark=20
long-term bond down to 1.925 per cent from 1.985 per cent on=20
Tuesday. The yen also weakened on the news to more than 118 per=20
U.S. dollar, compared with 117 a day earlier.=20
        The central bank's decision to push the interest rate it most=20
directly controls to 0.08 per cent from 0.15 per cent =97 and central=20
bank Governor Masaru Hayami's comments this week that even a=20
rate of zero would be acceptable =97 may be one of the first steps in=20
a policy shift toward more aggressively printing money to break a=20
deflationary spiral, according to analysts and financial industry=20
officials.=20
        "They'll be forced to do it if the economy continues this=20
way," said an executive at a major Japanese financial institution.=20
        The move yesterday bolstered perceptions in the financial=20
industry that the government has exhausted conventional means of=20
boosting its economy, and is now headed into waters virtually=20
unexplored for 50 years. In just two weeks, the idea of Japan's=20
revving up the yen printing presses has moved from the realm of=20
arcane academic discussion to the center of public policy debate.=20
But the risks of such a policy, which some business leaders and=20
many analysts view as likely sometime this year, are large.=20
        Some economists say if Japan aggressively expands its=20
money supply, the yen will depreciate significantly. That could put=20
pressure on other countries in Asia to devalue their currencies,=20
sparking another round of global financial turmoil.=20
        The Bank of Japan, facing a major challenge to its=20
independence, also could lose control of monetary policy to=20
politicians who already have exhausted their own fiscal policy=20
options. Indeed, a small but vocal group of politicians is urging the=20
Bank of Japan to finance government spending directly by printing=20
money. The last time the central bank tried that was to pay the=20
military expense of the Second World War. The result was=20
hyperinflation.=20
        "You don't want to write an open cheque, especially to the=20
Liberal Democratic Party," said Ron Bevacqua, an economist at=20
Merrill Lynch & Co., referring to this country's ruling political=20
party.=20
        The Bank of Japan's Mr. Hayami has vowed the bank will=20
"never" directly underwrite government spending, which is against=20
the law. The policy board, its top policy-making group, last week=20
rebuffed calls to buy more government bonds in the open market.=20
        Still, powerful economic and political forces have pushed=20
what once were esoteric monetary arguments into mainstream=20
debate. On one prime time television news show this week, the=20
anchors donned placards labelling themselves "Bank of Japan" and=20
"Government" and then passed around oversized copies of=20
government bonds to explain a debate that raged last week in=20
parliament.=20
        Driving the debate over monetary policy is a rise in interest=20
rates since December. The yields on 10-year government bonds=20
have tripled, in part because the government has been issuing large=20
numbers of bonds to fund its economic stimulus programs.=20
        Interest rates of 2 per cent may seem low by global=20
standards. But with wholesale prices falling, some economists=20
worry that the real cost of borrowing has become high enough to=20
threaten an economic recovery. Higher Japanese rates also have=20
rattled the U.S. bond market, sparking fears Japan will lure capital=20
away from the United States.=20
        All of which are powerful incentives for the Bank of Japan=20
to act, but the trick may be finding a way to do so without=20
appearing to cave in to political pressure.=20
        Already, the debate over expanding money supply has raged=20
within the central bank for almost a year, central bank officials say=20
privately. As the government launched one fiscal stimulus package=20
after another, the central bank has slashed interest rates to break the=20
deflationary spiral that has accompanied Japan's recession.=20
        With rates approaching zero, some members of the bank's=20
top policy board began debating more radical approaches. One was=20
expanding money supply rapidly with the aim of creating inflation.=20
That might not only break the deflationary trend but also ease the=20
burden of indebted banks, construction companies and the=20
government, all of whom could pay back what they owe in cheaper=20
yen.=20
        An academic paper by Massachusetts Institute of=20
Technology professor Paul Krugman proposing this approach,=20
heresy to central bankers who see their role as preventing inflation,=20
was translated, circulated among bank staff last May and discussed=20
at key meetings.=20
        While U.S. officials privately have urged Japan to use=20
expansionary monetary policy to boost growth, Treasury Secretary=20
Robert Rubin declined to offer the Japanese specific advice in=20
public. But Mr. Rubin, speaking to reporters yesterday, praised=20
Japanese efforts to stimulate their economy through government=20
spending, implying that monetary loosening was the next logical=20
way to generate the desired "domestic demand-led growth.''=20
        Mr. Rubin added that his support assumes Tokyo follows=20
through on promised expenditures. "We think it's imperative that=20
Japan get back on track," he said.=20
=09
Michael M Phillips in Washington contributed to this article.=20

--------------8DB0761BFF68CC82D6EF5BC1--