> Here's an idea - social democracy is more compatible with "monopolized"
> ownership structures than most social democrats would like to
> admit, and is
> undermined by U.S.-style financial and corporate governance arrangements.
> It's probably very difficult for U.S. social dems to admit to this, given
> this country's love of small business and populist, anti-centralizing
> political traditions.

Financial and corporate governance arrangements can be
quite different in this context.

In the latter case, monopoly mitigates the imperative of
profit maximization per se.  In this realm, I think you
are right that social democracy has an interest in seeking
collaborationist arrangements with corporations, which I
would say can be either good or bad for workers.

Liberalizing financial arrangements are a whole different
matter and would seem to be the real challenge to social
democracy.  We see that under neo-liberalism, social
democracy either caves in and transforms to Clintonism
(e.g., U.S., perhaps Australia/New Zealand, UK), or
is forced into a more antagonistic posture.

The indifference to localism, populism, and anti-
centralism is generic not only to social-democracy,
but to much of the left as well.  My impression is
that these traditions have much less currency in
Europe so there is nothing to neglect.

mbs