>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 07/11/00 11:54PM >>>

I have heard Wallerstein speak very recently too, but I don't remember
him implying that "Marxists had a simplistic way of looking at the
world". As a Marxist, of course, he is critical of *certain* brands of
marxist theory-- the orthodox developmental model-- which dominates the
sociology of development literature with varying degrees, and takes the
*nation state* as the unit of analysis instead of the *world system*.
Accordingly,  part of IW's criticism is related to whether societies have
their independent logic of capitalist development or relate to one
another within a world system.  Barrington Moore and Brenner type
Marxists are included in the former category, although Marx, from a world
systemic perspective, had the world system, not the nation state, in mind
when he was analyzing British capitalism. There is a fine line between
world system marxists and marxists.  The former subcribes to the
core-periphery model.

))))))))))))))))

CB: What is the difference between "core-periphery" and "imperial center-colonies"  ?

(((((((((((

 I find this a very powerful analysis of
contemporary imperialism and capitalism, as far as the *sociology* of
modern capitalism goes. You may disagree with it as an economist, but one
needs to debate the *premises of*  the world system theory first to be
able to criticize it. If you disagree, fine; but you can state the
rationality grounds of why you disagree; theory wise.

Mine

--

Mine Aysen Doyran
PhD Student