The discussion begun by Tom Walker and Brad De Long seems to be pointing
to an analysis of the quality of labor.  Marx pointed out that we should
look not just that the extent of the working day but the intensity.  New
forms of panoptic monitoring allow employers to measure keystrokes, keep
track of times spent on the toilet, and perhaps in the near future
monitor brain waves.  We also heard about the importance of workplace
safety as well as the transfer of work to far off venues, such as the
sweatshops that have been in the news lately.

I also mentioned pressures that are external to, but closely related to
the workplace, such as commuting.

Have any studies attempted to develop a comprehensive analysis of the
demands of the workplace?

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department