Doug, in looking at your U.S. poverty rate time series, it looks
more like the poverty rate peaked in 1993 and then began to
decline, albeit in a somewhat "sticky" fashion.  It doesn't look
like poverty has increased with the growth we've been seeing.
This seems on its face rather consistent with what economists
would predict coming out of a recession - labor markets would
become increasingly saturated, and even poorer-skilled workers
would find employment and be lifted out of poverty.

As a housing and homeless policy planner in Berkeley, I observe a
more complicated picture (as I know many others on this list
would suggest).  The extent to which people actually _experience_
a reduction in their poverty depends to a significant degree on
how much of what income they receive is spent for housing.  With
the end of strong rent control in Berkeley, Berkeley's Rent Board
reports that the rents of newly occupied rental units (hence, a
new rent ceiling gets recorded) is up 25 percent over last year
at this time.  That means a studio apartment renting last year
for $600 would fetch $750 for its owner this year from the rental
market.  The Contra Costa Times reported from the California
Association of Realtors this morning that Berkeley's median home
sales price jumped 35 percent since a year ago, to $352,000.

At a conference last week, I heard it said that in some
California rental markets, something like 80 percent of the
tenants pay more than 50 percent of their incomes in rent.
(Until I get the reports from which this is quoted, please,
everyone on the list, consider this factoid second-hand hearsay.)
If that's true, then the poverty rate doesn't tell the story in
California, hardly at all.

The housing boom in Berkeley is a direct result of the housing
boom in San Francisco, which is a direct result of the booming
regional economy in finance and high tech in the Bay Area.  The
Times article states what many realtors have observed, that
buyers who have been priced out of SF come to Berkeley to make
that buy - and they come here with extra cash from failed
attempts to purchase in SF.

As I see it, the poverty rate indicates where people's incomes
are with respect to a government-established poverty (income)
threshold; however, it doesn't appear to me to account for the
purchasing power of their incomes the way a measure like the rent
or housing cost burden (as % of household income) does.