Jim Devine wrote:

>I didn't say that the slaves got worse off due to freedom. In the US,
the

>case which I'm most familiar with, they definitely better off (at least
in

>the short run), as their work hours per year fell significantly
(according

>to Ransom & Sutch). My point was that the shift from slavery to freedom
is

>a mixed blessing. Some things -- like security -- are often lost.

This is a good point. It is often assumed that a move towards a more
formally or legally equal relationship from a relationship with
asymmetrical power dynamics is a good thing. This is not always the
case.

I got the following in the mailbox from the AFL-CIO which gave me pause.
My roommate, a temp worker, takes pride in the fact that he "works for
himself." Never mind the fact that his employers don't provide health
insurance or a pension plan. Also, when I used to deliver food, many of
my coworkers had the same feelings about being "independent contractors."
All of which goes to show that "formal" equality often obscures class,
race and gender exploitation.

<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>