> >From leftist sources, it was richly documented during the Columbia
> Univ. uprising of '68 detailing the role of David Truman (name?), then
> a dean at Columbia) in the final participation in Lumumba's murder.
> Carrol

yeah, David Truman, although I think he was vice-president...he was
the admin person who promised the students that the cops would not
be called in...

a political scientist, Truman's early '50s book _The Governmental
Process_ (basically a restating of Arthur Bentley's turn of the
century _The Process of Government_, note similar titles) was
probably the first expression of pluralist theory...he may have
referred to it as "interest-group democracy"...thesis was that a
combination of competing elites (which he called the "active
minority") and certain formal procedures (interest groups, regular
elections, separation of powers, etc.) produced government
accountability, voila, democracy!...nary a word about concentration
of wealth, management of consent, & state repression and terror...

during the rebellion, Truman called for a public hearing and an
investigation into the issues - CIA & military recruiters on
campus, military research on campus, proposed gym in Morningside
Park - that preciptated the action...striking students read back
to him a section from above book in which he suggested that such
proceedings are a poor way to obtain information, function
principally as a propaganda devices, and serve as symbolic safety
valves...Michael Hoover