S Pawlett wrote:

> W. Kiernan wrote:
> >
> > As far as I can see, those two typified or exemplified nothing
> > outside the classic textbook symptom list of paranoia.
>
> I see. Time for a little schizo bashing. Why not? They can't defend
> themselves, in fact they usually can't even understand what you're
> saying.  So-called schizophrenia and so-called manic depression are
> rarely enough to drive one to such extreme anti-social behavior.
> Someone in the middle of acute mania (awful as these terms sound) is
> more likely to become hypersocial e.g. spend all one's money on
> lavish parties etc.  The notion of two schizophrenics acting in
> concert is absurd.

No, as a matter of fact, it is not.  Why do you say I am "bashing"
anyone?

> Have you ever met a real schizophrenic?

Half my childhood, my father was in and out of mental hospitals under
diagnosis of schizophrenia.

> Marek Lugowski wrote:
> >
> > And this padded cell bullshit is just that.  There are no padded
> > cells.
>
> - padded -
>
> Wrong, dude.  I seen 'em,
> wrestling mats on the wall
> down at the Bay Pines
> US Veterans Hospital,
> building 22, third floor
> behind the buzzer lock door
> when I was a little kid
> visiting my dear old Dad.

More: as Nabokov phrased it, "readers will be distressed," here goes my
credibilty I suppose, but so what?

When I was about the same age as Klebold and Harris, I walked into the
local, free, no-questions-asked, public mental health clinic, and after
two or three interviews, a genuine M.D.-type psychiatrist pinned the
same diagnosis, schizophrenia, on me.  He prescribed Stelazine, which I
took for about two or three years.  Once I got on the pills and got
calmed down I started sleeping all night long and I didn't cut my wrists
any more.  What a relief it was to get that nonstop voice in my head
finally to shut the fuck up.

Also, incidentally, a.) I too was the best math student in my school,
and b.) I too used to make pipe bombs "for fun," and c.) I too very much
wanted to kill everybody in my high school, particularly those God
damned athletes; I thought they were all out to get me.  I used to hang
out with my equally antisocial buddies and talk about doing it.  That
attitude eased up once I started taking phenothiazines.

You are free to disbelieve the last two paragraphs if you like.  If I
were you I might.  It's all true, anyway.

Back then, I didn't know anywhere I could get a gun.  These days, so I'm
told, any teenager can get hold of a black-market gun more readily than
he can get a marijuana cigarette.

> I will send you all my David Cooper and R.D. Laing books if you could
> understand anything that person said.

If you ask, "Did you ever understand anything your father told you?" the
answer falls in a grey area between "yes" and "no," and who understands
himself? (ask Yoshie, she says "self-critique is impossible") so the
bet's off.

> That men aged 17-18 could plan and carry out such a complicated
> operation (even if it is of such barbarity)  suggests minds that are
> highly engaged with reality and also very intelligent.

There are other forms of schizophrenia, e.g. hebephrenia, which ruin the
ability to make organized plans, but many paranoid schizophrenics are
clear, lucid thinkers who score well above average on intelligence
tests.  And it doesn't take all that much smarts to kill a bunch of
people you hate with guns and bombs.  Any three pages of Klebold's
calculus homework involved more "engagement with reality and
intelligence" than his scheme of "revenge."

> > Maybe the saying is true that "schizophrenia isn't a diagnosis but a
> > prognosis."  Still what might have saved them (their victims too)
> > would have been regular doses of phenothiazine tranquilizers, maybe
> > accompanied by some old-fashioned talk-therapy
>
> Maybe, but the side effects of such drugs often includes psychosis.

Yes, that happens in about 5-10% of people who get phenothiazines
prescribed.  That's where the "talk-therapy" comes in; a competent
psychiatrist (or for that matter, anybody who can read a PDR) should be
on the lookout for that common abreaction.  Unfortunately, in your
ordinary mental ward, the staff is way too indifferent to the patients
to care that the "anti-psychotic" medication is having the paradoxical
effect of multiplying the patient's symptoms.  When they finally notice
the poor guy is getting way crazier, hallucinating out loud and all the
rest instead of calming down, what do you suppose the S.O.P. is?  You
got it, strap him to the bed and increase the dosage.

Yours WDK - [EMAIL PROTECTED]