>From:          "Jeffrey L. Beatty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To:            WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Having said all that, I want to offer (risk?) a reply to some of the
>criticisms of NATO policy that have been offered on the lists I post to
>and elsewhere over the last months.  The general lines of criticism
>appear to be crystallizing.

Why doesn't it surprise me that a defense of NATO crops up on WSN? I got
mailbombed by a student from that mailing-list after crossposting
criticisms of the war just after receiving a note from a U. of Pittsburgh
professor complaining about being "bombarded" by news of the war. This guy
Beatty is a frequent contributor to the International Political Economy
(IPE) list at CSF as well. I have heard through the grapevine that this
list attracts a lot of right-wing policy wonks as well. The general picture
I have of these lists is of academicians who seem barely conscious of the
Marxist roots of the global or international discipline they are
professionally tied to. The University of Pittsburgh professor proudly
announces on his webpage that one of his research projects in Latin America
was funded by the World Bank. What a disgrace.

Louis Proyect