I had a brief debate with my brother recently about the EPA and other
"anti-business" government institutions.  I know that the EPA is not
necessarily anti-business, as some businesses benefit from regulation,
and might welcome more stringent standards to help drive out
competitors.  Does anyone have sources on the history of the EPA or
the Consumer Protection Agency, or other such agencies, that might
tell me who in the business sector and elsewhere was responsible for
starting up these agencies?  My brother seems to think it was labor
unions and environmentalists at the helm, a contention he almost
certainly got from the Wall Street Journal, which I told him was
crazy, but I didn't have specifics to back this up.

I plan on going through Philip Burch's volume for the period, but I've
lent it out at the moment...

Bill