Jim Devine wrote:

>At 02:23 PM 4/23/99 -0400, Barkley wrote:
>> This "heart of Serbia" argument is just the worst sort of pathetic
>drivel.  I  am very sorry that these suffering people are so fixated on
>such deluded garbage.<
>
>One problem is the US/NATO-imposed suffering is pushing them to embrace
>that kind of deluded garbage.

Maybe my Zizek is showing, but nationalist movements typically flourish
when a group is under outside attack or dominance (and fall apart when the
external threat is removed), and invent a grand history to which they're
the inheritors among their foundational acts. You're not going to refute
its emotional appeal to Serbians with rational argument.

Doug