Jim Devine wrote:

>At 07:17 AM 4/23/99 -0500, Carrol wrote:
>>Back in '69 or so I ran across a song (from someone in the GI movement,
>but I don't know where it originated) one of the lines of which, in the
>first version i encountered, was
>
>>        They send our kids to school they're just like prisons.<
>
>This seems reminiscent of the old New Left pamphlet "the Student as Nigger"
>and the more sophisticated book by Sam Bowles and an earlier incarnation of
>Herb Gintis, SCHOOLING IN CAPITALIST AMERICA.

"Is it surprising that the cellular prison, with its regular chronologies,
forced labour, its authorities of surveillance and registration, its
experts in normality, who continue and multiply the functions of the judge,
should have become the modern instrument of penality? Is it surprising that
prisons resemble factories, schools, barracks, hospitals, which all
resemble prisons?"

- Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish