At 05:58 AM 4/22/99 -0700, Tom Walker wrote:
>In 1987-88 after having lived for twenty years in Canada, I spent eight
>months at Cornell. I lived in a residence with domestic and foreign graduate
>students. One of the amazing things was watching the T.V. news together at
>six. The foreigners, myself included, would gawk and howl at the laughably
>blatant propaganda. The domestics would stare seriously at the tube, not
>comprehending the reason for all the hilarity around them.

You are absolutely right, Tom.  I came to this country some 18 years ago,
and to this day I am amazed by the stupefying seriousness with which the
locals treat the media.  I guess I'll never become a true American (but
won't loose any sleep over this either).

But I am not alone.  We have a quite large foreign exchange program here,
and many foreign fellows are also nonplussed by the locals' media naivete.

Wojtek