Louis Proyect wrote:

>The point that must be made is that high school prepares you for class
>society by imposing a brutal reign based on these distinctions, while not
>permitting you to move up the social ladder. Somebody whose parents lack
>money or who is not athletically gifted is condemned to remain in the lower
>classes until graduation. Resentments can boil high--to the point of murder
>nowadays.

When I was in high school (1968-71), I remember a curious cross-class
coalition between alienated intellectual geeks like me and the "hoods," who
I realize in retrospect were usually of more socially downscale origin than
the jocks. We were joined in our contempt for idiotic teachers and
sunny-tempered B students. Of course, the geeks went on to good colleges
and the hoods to pump gas, so this cross-class alliance didn't persist. I
guess this is one way in which high school isn't like grownup society.

Doug