I sent a copy of my Smedley Butler post to Michael Tomasky at New York
Magazine. (www.newyorkmag.com) He is a left-liberal who backed the war in
his latest column in the magazine devoted to questions about where to get
the best banana split in NYC or how to meet your perfect significant other.
I have had no success on either score. Tomasky's reply is followed by my
nasty dig.
=====
I know all about Smedley Butler. And I was an intern at the Nation
(Cockburn's intern at that, during the contra war!!), so I know the whole
scene. We probably agree on a lot of things, but you are making the Chomsky
mistake of being so intent on ascribing evil to the U.S. that you fail to
see evil anywhere else. The U.S. has blood on its hands, yes. So does the
Soviet Union, so did Japan, so does Serbia, so do a lot of people. Your
kind of thinking--that the U.S. by definition can do no good
overseas--would have kept us out of WWII and given Hitler Europe. Grow up a
little.
=====
Congratulations, Michael, you've become the Max Shachtman of the 1990s!
Maybe you've been watching too many Stephen Spielberg movies. This is the
real reason we entered WWII, not to save Jews:

"Whatever the outcome of the war, America has embarked upon a career of
imperialism, both in world affairs and in every other aspect of her
life...Even though, by our aid, England should emerge from this struggle
without defeat, she will be so impoverished economically and crippled in
prestige that it is improbable she will be able to resume or maintain the
dominant position in world affairs which she has occupied so long. At best,
England will become a junior partner in a new Anglo-Saxon imperialism, in
which the economic resources and the military and naval strength of the
United States will be the center of gravity. Southward in our hemisphere
and westward in the Pacific the path of empire takes its way, and in modern
terms of economic power as well as political prestige, the sceptre passes
to the United States. All this is what lies beneath the phrase 'national
defense'--some of it deeply hidden, some of it very near the surface and
soon to emerge to challenge us."

(From a speech by Virgil Jordan, president of the National Industrial
Conference Board, to the Convention of the Investment Bankers Association,
Dec. 10, 1940)

Louis Proyect