Although I am in large agreement  with Barkley's post (there are
several other matters on which I do disagree), I think the comment
below is quite factually wrong.  Whereas Serbian and Croatian are
for the most part very similar (or at least were until Tudjman began
to change the language so that it no longer resembled Serbian) as
are, I believe, Macedonian and Bulgarian, Slovenian is quite
different though related.  Slovenians do not understand Serbian or
vice versa.  Only about 40-50 per cent of the words are the same.
For instance, the word for worker in Serbo-Croat is 'radnik', in
Slovenian 'delavec'; onion in S-C is 'luk', in Slov it is 'cebula' (to give
two examples where the words are totally unrelated.)  Furthermore,
the Slovenes have a different grammar involving not only singular
and plural but also 'dual'.  Newscasts on Slovenian TV orginating in
Zagreb or Belgrade usually are subtitled simply because many
Slovenes don't understand Serbo-Croat. And so on.

I also believe Barkley's figures on income disparities are wrong.  In
the 1950s the ratio of Slovenia to Kosovo was closer to 15 to one
and declined up to the 1980s to the area of 5 to 1 before increasing
again as the decentalization of economic powers and the decline of
national economic policy increased the regionalization of the
Yugoslav economy.  Furthermore, the autonomy of Kosovo had
lead the Albanians to set up their own schools which specialized in
Albanian culture and language to the detriment of technical and
scientific studies.  (Also I have been told when I was there in the
late 1980s shortly before the breakup, but can not verify, that there
was strong islamic opposition to educating female students
particularly in practical or work-related areas.)  The lack of 'human
capital' made it very difficult to invest in economic development
despite the large funds made available to Kosovo through the Fund
for the Faster Development of Less Developed Regions.  As a
result, taxes transfered primarily from Slovenia and Croatia to
Kosovo for economic development projects was largely wasted in
projects that never became operational or were absorbed in
massive cultural white elephants such as the national library in
Pristina.  The autonomy of Kosovo prevented the Serb or
Yugoslavian governments from planning these investments in any
way that could be integrated into a national development strategy.
Meanwhile, the Albanians had been practicing an ongoing and
quite vicious process of ethnic cleansing of Serbs from Kosovo.  It
is interesting that, in the name of preventing ethnic cleansing, the
US is giving military aid to the greatest ethnic cleansing operation
in the history of Yugoslavia.

By the way, isn't it time to begin the real impeachment of Bill
Clinton for real 'high crimes and misdemeanors'?

Paul Phillips,
Economics,
University of Manitoba