> Henry C. K. Liu wrote:
>

> > Paul Davidson's point that the Tobin tax is not the proper response for
> the destructive run-away global foreign exchange markets is on very solid
> grounds.  The real damage of the Tobin tax, aside from the obvious increase
> of transaction cost without any compensating benefits, is the false hope it
> holds out that may distract from the urgent need to seek real effective
> solutions to a very pressing and serious problem.
> >

> I agree, to impose a Tobin Tax would mean to do too little too late. But
> Henry, what do you think, could be a "real effective solution"?
>
> Harald Schumann

Globally, there is an urgent need for a new international financial
architecture.
While there is generally no disagreement on this point, there seems to
be much
disagreement on what this new architecture should look like.
My view is that the new architecture should aim towards eliminating
arbitrage
profits from open interest parity between the currencies of the world's
trading system, so that non-trade and non-development transactions are
not
profitable.  Currency transactions should be neutral and not be
permitted to
become the driving force in transactional decisions.  Market
fundamentalism
should not be permitted to be the excuse for destructive currency
manipulations.
This objective cannot be achieved by mere control, through taxation or
regulation, of cross border capital flow.  Rather, a currency exchange
system
should be instituted so that the relationship between interest rates and
exchange value is linked between currencies to reduce the arbitrage
profit to
zero.  The trade value of a currency should be tied to the productivity
of an
economy rather to its dollar reserves, since a currency's value
represents the
current and anticipated purchasing power.  The concept of trade weighted
values of currencies and purchasing power parity adjusted GDP
measurements are
already widely accepted in international economics.  With instant
electronic
transactions, it is quite feasible to institute a foreign exchange
regime to
eliminate profits from most market inefficiencies.  The enhancement of a
currency's value would provide an incentive for sound monetary policies
over
time, rather the current practice of condescending jawboning for sound
national monetary policies to back up artificially pegged exchange
rates.  The
global pricing system had shifted from one where profit can at times be
derived from ocacasional volatility caused by fundamental  causes, to
one
where the profit incentive is continuously driving a perpetual high
volaitity,
in the currency, credit and equity markets.

Regionally, Asia should adopt, within allowances for Asian
characteristics)
the EU regime governing the exchange rate of national currencies to the
euro,
and move toward a Asian currency.

Theses problems of structural volatility and short teerm speculative
dominance
have solutions, but the solutions threaten the built-in advantage that
the US
dollar has enjoyed since WWII as the sole currency of choice in world
trade.
Therefore the US, in the name of free market fundamentalism, is opposed
to any
real and meaningful reform.  America wishes to impose on the world's
government's a monetary and fiscal discipline that it itself has not
observed
since the end of WWII.  The post WWII strength of the dollar came not
from
American discipline, but from a tilted playing field in favor of America
peculiarities.
There is no global free market. Any economy that wants to prospers must
adopt
a strategy that first enrich the American economy and eaccept the
American
export of sytemic risk.

Greeenspan said in a speech on Financial derivatives before the Futures
Industry Association, Boca Raton, Florida on March 19, 1999:  "We should
note
that were banks required by the market, or their
regulator, to hold 40 percent capital against assets as they did after
the
Civil War.  There would, of course, be far less moral hazard and far
fewer
instances of fire-sale market disruptions. At the same time, far fewer
banks
would be profitable, the degree of financial intermediation less,
capital
would be more costly, and the level of output and standards of living
decidedly lower. Our current economy, with its wide financial safety
net, fiat
money, and highly leveraged financial institutions, has been a conscious
choice of the American people since the 1930s. We do not have the choice
of
accepting the benefits of the current system without its costs."

It is an amazing statement for the central banker of the kingpin of the
global
economy.  The "benefits" and "costs" Greenspan referred to is a that of
speculative bubble and the continuing risk of sudden collapse of the
global
economy.  It is a TINA (there is no alternative) argument which we all
know is
as unsupportable as NAIRU.

Henry C.K. Liu