Louis:

>Interesting. Deidre went from ITT to NACLA where she turned the journal
>into a forum for "civil society" as opposed to the "thuggish" guerrilla
>movements the mag used to identify with. She wrote a horrible editorial
>clucking her tongue at Lori Berenson who was "ill-advised" enough to work
>with the "dogmatic and violent" MTRA in Peru instead of in soup kitchens.

No, she went *from* NACLA *to* ITT--she was at NACLA from about 1991 to 1996.
I don't think she had anything to do with their discovery of "civil society"
(incidentally
a concept I find as useless in thinking about Latin American politics as you do.)

>>2. We felt we couldn't publish her stuff not only because she was
>>insisting that there was no Serb role in the slaughter of Muslims in Bosnia
>>after the facts were long in,

>This is unmitigated bullshit. The issue is not "slaughter" but

Actually, the issue is that Johnstone wasn't doing any reporting, but simply
relaying the official line of Ms. Markovic's party. As for events in Bosnia and
how best to characterize them (are there serious doubts that thousands of
Muslim men were slaughtered at Srebrenica?) I'll defer to the many on
these lists who are better informed than me. I do know, though, that other left
journalists who, unlike Johnstone, had spent time in Bosnia, like Paul Hockenos,
agreed that large-scale atrocities were committed against Bosnian Muslims
with the support of the Serbian government--the claim that Johnstone denied.

Josh