On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Rob Schaap wrote:

> And how is Japan's billion-dollar pump-prime beginning to look to you lot?

Well, check out this recent article in Semiconductor News, by Anthony
Cataldo <http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG19990311S0055>, dated
March 11, 1999:

------------------

"Intel has made investment proposals to several DRAM suppliers in Japan,
including Toshiba, NEC and Mitsubishi. Industry sources here refer to the
investment pool as the Intel Monetary Fund. And just as the International
Monetary Fund lends money to recession-plagued countries that follow a
strict set of guidelines, Intel is promising a windfall to
those companies in Japan that are willing to play by its rules. Indeed,
concern about how far Intel may seek to stretch its reach across the
Pacific could be behind the lack of agreements with Japanese companies
thus far, observers said.

"Although Mitsubishi Electric was approached by Intel
with regard to possible financing measures for production-related
investments, we declined [because we] are able to achieve our current
production plan with our present capital-investment levels. No decisions
have been made regarding the possibility of entering such arrangements in
the future," Koichi Nagasawa, general manager of Mitsubishi Electric's
Semiconductor Group, said in a prepared statement.

"It can be quite dangerous for a company like Toshiba
or NEC to allow Intel to be a shareholder," said Rick Oyama, an analyst
with ABN Ambro [sic] Securities. "They need the money, but they don't want
to give political power to a big U.S. company like Intel."

-------------------

Like most press releases, you have to read between the lines carefully.
First of all, the US is *not* a threat to the Japanese in DRAMs, the
Koreans are. Second, a big Eurobank, ABN Amro (Dutch), gets quoted as
saying this is just fine with them. The Nippomultis know that the EU banks
are loaning all kinds of money to SE Asia, including their competitors,but
figure they can cooperate with them easier, thanks to their keiretsu
structure, than dealing with the rapacious Americans.
Finally, note the astonishing eloquence of that single line:
"we are able to achieve our current production plan with our present
capital-investment levels". Mitsubishi Electric can call upon the
resources of BTM's $700 billion balance-sheet, of course, and the other
electromultis are similarly well-protected. My conclusion is that the
Japanese recession has bottomed out, that an upturn is on the way, and
that the Nippomultis are gearing up to get into the microprocessor market.
This would explain the recent surge in the Nikkei, too -- Japanese capital
is regaining its confidence.

-- Dennis