Yes, drawing a bit on Gramsci, Mzwanele Mayekiso did a 1996 Monthly
Review book, Township Politics: Civic Struggles for a New South
Africa. The book explains why the phrase "working-class civil
society" became popular here so as to explicitly contrast the
political project of mass democratic struggle organisations with
early 1990s efforts of the World Bank, US AID, etc, to shrink the
soon-to-be-liberated state under the guise of promoting civil
society... and to explicitly stake some turf in what most
critical observers knew would be another African nationalist
compradorisation process...

Patrick
(Johannesburg)