In Canada, and I believe in the US, the 1st WW was the impetus to
the prohibition movement.  Women left the labour market in droves
following the war leaving the situtation in circa 1920 more or less
as it was in 19 13.  Space for women only opened up after the 2nd
WW.

Paul Phillips,
Economics,
University of Manitoba