G'day Paul,

I got a lot out of
Carnoy, Castells, Cohen and Cardoso (1996) *The New Global Economy in the
Information Age*.  Penn. State
and this introductory classic (in case it doesn't rate as a classic over
there)
Hettne, Bjorn (ed) (1995).  *International Political Economy: understanding
global disorder*.  Ferwood, Halifax, Canada.

I first took an interest due to Stuart Holland's (1987) *The Global Economy:
from meso to macroeconomics*.  Weidenfield & Nicolson, London.

But then I ain't trained in this stuff, so have a look before you buy ...

Cheers,
Rob.