Patrick Bond wrote:

>I came
>to the conclusion that "there should be no geographical or
>locational grounds for Johannesburg to continue as South
>Africa's economic heartland over coming decades and
>centuries." Is this "urbicide"? Maybe. But look around this
>city and you'll agree there is very little compelling
>argument for its existence.

Of course Johannesburg is the metropolis of one of the most polarized
countries on earth, on the most ravaged continent on earth. Johannesburg as
we know it is a product of an abominable set of social relations, so I
don't know how you can make a judgment on cities themselves. It's also the
set of social relations we've been given to deal with, the history we make
with tools not of our own choosing. If you evoke the nonexistence of
Johannesburg as desirable you have to say something about what should take
its place if you don't want to be taken for Pol Pot.

Doug