Patrick Bond wrote:

>> From:          Doug Henwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Of course Johannesburg is the metropolis of one of the most polarized
>> countries on earth, on the most ravaged continent on earth. Johannesburg as
>> we know it is a product of an abominable set of social relations, so I
>> don't know how you can make a judgment on cities themselves. It's also the
>> set of social relations we've been given to deal with, the history we make
>> with tools not of our own choosing. If you evoke the nonexistence of
>> Johannesburg as desirable you have to say something about what should take
>> its place if you don't want to be taken for Pol Pot.
>
>Really Doug, that's a banal conversation-stopper, not worthy of your
>radical imagination.

Seems more that it was a conversation starter, from your subsequent
comments. I know you're not Pol Pot, Patrick, which is why I wanted you to
elaborate. One has lately heard a lot of polemic about the evils of the
city-country contradiction without hearing much detail, so I'm grateful for
the detail you supplied in your post. Given the U.S. experience of
suburbanization, with all its waste and atomization, I get a bit skeptical
when I hear about "a long-term project of better spreading people and
economic activity over the countryside.

Speaking of Pol Pot and idealist philosophies, here's an excerpt from
Slavoj Zizek's Tarrying With The Negative: "Prior to becoming a
revolutionary, Pol Pot was a professor at a French lycée in Phnom Penh,
known for his subtle readings of Rimbaud and Mallarmé. Abimael Guzman,
'presidente Gonzalo,' the leader of the Senderistas, is a philosophy
professor whose preferred authors are Hegel and Heidegger and whose
doctoral thesis was on Kant's theory of space."

Doug