The mainstream position (which goes back several decades) is that, for
economic efficiency, the punitive multiple should be inverse to the
probability that the tort will be relieved.  So if there is a one in
three chance that polluters get caught, damages assessed should be
multiplied by three.  Very standard Pigovian stuff.

The deeper question is whether the cost internalization paradigm is
adequate.  I've got a bunch of articles saying it's not, at least in the
context of occ safety and health.  I'll be happy to share with anyone
interested.

Peter