Charles had written: >>>I can't tell if you are opposing the Marxist idea
that capitalist wars are integral to the capitalist system; or whether you
are saying that this war is an exception. <<<

I answered: >>neither. I was opposing crude economic determinism and
teleology (i.e., something like profiteering from a Marshall-type plan
occurs _because_ it was planned ahead of time by NATO). <<

Chas. responds: >I'd say mystified, inability to find ruthless economic
motives in capitalists is much more of a problem than seeing economic
determinism and teleology, crude or otherwise. The bourgeoisie should not
be seen as lacking vulgar and vicious motives and plans. To declare that
they would not crudely plan ahead of time to profiteer from this war and
others is very misleading. The capitalists promote, demand and require a
gigantic , standing military. They don't have to specifically plan to
profiteer from the recovery financing of a given war. It just naturally
follows. Thus, they require their governments to be militarist in general
and to wage war as an ongoing institution. <

I'm not denying that capitalists have ruthless economic motives. Rather,
I'm denying (a) that capitalists always get what they want and (b) that
what happens is always something planned ahead of time by the capitalists.

Put it in terms of another era of history: (a) when various "Western"
capitalists and upper-crust types backed Hitler in the 1930s as a way to
fight the USSR and "bolshevism" in general, they were being disgustingly
immoral. Many of the Western elite were also antisemitic, racist, etc. But
my understanding is that the vast majority of them were not hoping to get
the Hitler they got, one who organized the slaying of about 10 million
civilians (Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, commies, etc.) and, even worse from
their perspective, attacked France and England. Similarly, the Western
elite seem to have wanted to actually prevent the Russian Revolution from
surviving when they sent troops to intervene in Russia immediately after
1917. In neither case did the capitalist elite get what they want.

(b) while I bet that the US/NATO elite doesn't care enough about any war
profiteering that occurs in order to act to prevent it, it's hard to see
the war profiteers as being a big lobbying group. The military-industrial
complex seems to care more about having a big budget; they don't seem to
need actual war. In fact, a war like that which is currently frying the FRY
may easily backfire, undermining popular support in the US or NATO for
large military budget. That, of course, is an important reason why the
power elite was hoping for a quick-and-easy war, with Milosevic
surrendering after a small bombing campaign.

>It is quite naive to dismiss the idea that sectors of the bourgeoisie
would not plan to make money off of NATO's attack in every which way ahead
of time, including the post-war Marshall Plan type plan in Yugoslavia. They
may let Clinton pick the particular time and place, but what they demand is
a standing institution of war with all the attendant money making
opportunities. Otherwise you portray the bourgeoisie as lucky innocent
bystanders who reap a windfall.<

don't you think that there are lots of other situations that generate big
windfalls for capitalists, so tht actual war (a very risky event in most
cases) isn't needed? for example, an IMF/WB "structural adjustment" program
drives some poor country up against the wall, while pushing the government
there to privatize government agencies. With the economy in a tailspin, the
privatized agencies are sold for a song.

BTW, it's important to realize that parts of the capitalist class -- i.e.,
those in the poor country in this example -- can _lose_ due to elite
policies. Do you think the Serbian capitalists are doing well?

>>From a theoretical standpoint "economic determinism and teleology" is not
an error at this level of analysis. Those are criticisms of a more general
level of analysis. A specific event can economically determined and
teleological, in the sense that it is directed to a specific goal. <<

Sure, there are some conspiracies that attain their goals and sometimes
specific lobbying groups attain their goals. But most political events are
the result of the interaction of a large number of competing groups pushing
for different goals, sometimes coalescing, sometimes not, often
compromising, sometimes not. Conspiratorial groups face opposition from
other conspiracies, as do lobbyists. So I think it's a mistake to always
look for the "hidden hand" of conspiracy at work.

I wrote: >>All wars are different. All have some similar bases in
capitalism, i.e., in trying to cope with class antagonisms by external
means and as a result of competition amongst capitals. But there are also a
lot of other things that change over time -- such as the nature of the
hegemonic power, opposition from non-capitalist systems (like the USSR) --
so that each war is different. <<

Chas: responds: >Yes, all wars are different, but each is not an entirely
unique event. Science is an effort to find general patterns that are common
to a group of phenomena. The common feature of capitalist wars is that are
motivated by profiteering in many ways. This war is not an exception to
that general pattern. Like all capitalist wars, it has vulgar economic
motives underlying the welter of other surface dimensions. <

Maybe, but the most plausible motives for the current war seem to be
"economic" only if you stretch the definition so far that it breaks: the US
is trying to impose its New Order (neoliberalism), while trying to use
human rights as a legitimating force for that order. NATO is trying to
maintain order in its "back yard," while trying to justify its own
existence in a post-Soviet world. In the mix, we see lots of different
lobbying groups and factions pushing for their programs. Maybe someone
wants access to the famous mines of Serbia, but they're counterbalanced to
some extent by those dyed-in-the-wool Clinton haters in Congress. Etc.

I would interpret the wars of the last 200 years among the "core" rich
capitalist countries in terms of nation-state contention, including the
struggle to attain and maintain hegemony, made more complicated from 1917
to 1989 (and especially from 1945 to 1989) by the pressure from an
alternative class system centered in the USSR.

There was an economic basis to this nation-state competition, but these
days there's an ongoing process of de-linking of nation-states and their
capitalist classes, so that the capitalist class is becoming global at the
same time that states remain national. It's this changing global
socio-economic situation that helps us understand the different kinds of
wars the world has seen.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Faculty/JDevine/jdevine.html
Bombing DESTROYS human rights. US/NATO out of Serbia!