During Reagan's Nicaragua campaign in the 1980s, the contra radio stations
based in Honduras would consistently broadcast horrific stories about
Sandinistas sending children to Cuba, where they would be turned into
canned meat.  On the face of it absurd, but in the war-torn northern
reagions of Nicaragua, it had a certain resonance with campesinos who had
seen and were experiencing barbarism daily (villages ransakced, rape,
torture, kidnapping; all on top of a grinding poverty and war tensions
generally).

At 06:03 PM 5/05/99 -0700, you wrote:
>A friend whose wife is Russian assures me that street children are
>disappearing in Russia, supposedly to cannibalism.  I don't know how
>common this rumor is, but her friends firmly believe it.
>
>Also, I recall that the CIA spread rumors of cannibalism right before
>the overthrow of Sukarno.
>
>--
>
>Michael Perelman
>Economics Department