I wrote: >> I wanted to add that Bob Brenner's excellent new book argues
that international competition between the advanced capitalist countries
led to the crisis of the 1970s, while a similar analysis applies to the
competition in East Asia that led to the 1997 crisis.<<

Sam writes: >One of the things I found odd about Brenner's latest effort is
that class struggle plays no role in his explanation.<

Class struggle plays no role in Brenner's general explantion of the
economic crisis of the advanced capitalist world of the late 1960s and
early 1970s. His argument is instead that the rich capitalist countries
were competing with each other, leading to an overinvestment process, which
led to excess capacity which prevented manufacturing capitalists from
raising mark-ups on variable costs in order to protect profit rates.

However, class struggle does play a role, as part of his structural
description of capitalism (as a class society) and as part of his
historical narrative (i.e., the employers' offensive against labor). His
main point is to argue against those who argue that the reason why the rich
countries went into crisis was because the working class was "too strong,"
so that the crisis might have been avoided (in the counterfactual world) if
the working class had been more mellow, less militant. In different terms,
he's opposing the "contradictions of Keynesianism" thesis in which the
successful Keynesian efforts to maintain high profit realization during the
1950s and early 1960s led to increased difficulty in producing profits in
the late 1960s. From what I've read, he makes a pretty convincing case. (I
made the analogy above between the situation of the rich countries in the
late 1960s and early 1970s and that of the Southeast Asian "emerging
markets" circa 1997. In defense of Brenner, I would ask if the SE Asian
crisis could be explained by working-class aggression squeezing profit
rates.)

BTW, he does note various cases where unions and workers (taking advantage
of relatively tight labor markets) did squeeze profits. However, he argues
that in the greater scheme of things, he argues that this phenomenon should
be seen more as an effect than a cause. In this, his story is a lot like
that of Marx in vol. I of CAPITAL (ch. 25).

Marx and Brenner are both wrong if the organizational strength of the
working class is steadily increasing (as opposed to a conjunctural increase
in workers' power due to rapid accumulation). However, I don't see that as
having happened in the three countries that Brenner focuses on (the US,
Japan, West Germany).

Perhaps Brenner's view looks worse if we interpret working-class power in
broader terms, because his emphasis is on blue-collar workers, especially
in manufacturing. I would interpret working class power as having been
relatively strong during the 1950s and 1960s in the sense that many workers
(including white-collar bureaucrats) had some kind of job security and
insulation from the labor market, along with defined-benefit pensions and
the like. Though beneficial to capitalists in the short run, in the longer
run, such insulation constrained capitalist efforts to raise profit rates.
This kind of thing -- which might be seen as an example of the
"contradictions of Keynesianism" theory broadly interpreted -- doesn't show
up very explicitly in Brenner's model. Or rather he mentions it, but
doesn't stress its role.

>This is odd after he took many other Marxists to task for abandoning class
struggle in his other well-known article "Critique of Neo-Smithian
Marxism". What he gives in his latest work is a Neo-Smithian account of
recent economic history.<

I read Brenner as presenting a "middle level" theory of the crisis of the
rich capitalist countries in the late 1960s and 1970s (in the middle
between high theory and empirical description). He takes the Marxian stuff
(the theory that distinguishes his theory from neo-Smithianism) _for
granted_. But it's there, as part of the general capitalist process that he
describes, which includes relative surplus-value extraction and the like.
Some would have started the book with an abstract discussion of value
theory and surplus-value extraction, along with a final solution to the
transformation problem, but Brenner's an historian who is trying to explain
a concrete series of events and so introduces only those theories that are
necessary to his exposition.

>In my, admittedly superficial, reading of Brenner there are at least prima
facie similarities between his account and a simple neo-classical model
where profits are driven to zero through competition. <

As you say, Brenner's theory of competition (which is like Marx's theory)
is very similar to that of the neoclassicals on a superficial level. But we
shouldn't reject absolutely everything that the neoclassicals say. The key
problem is usually with what they leave out (things like time and
relationships between people) rather than with what their theory says: in
this context, the neoclassical theory is static, with some shock causing
monopoly profits to arise (or allowing competition where none had existed
before) -- leading to the automatic and smooth competition away of monopoly
profits.

I interpret Brenner's description not in terms of some exogenous shock as
much as in terms of the uneven development of nation-state-based
capitalisms on a world scale. Further, the adjustment process is not smooth
or automatic, since capitalists cling to existing fixed capital and try to
make it profitable again, so that overproduction persists.

Though Brenner doesn't draw out the theoretical differences between himself
and the neoclassicals, his treatment of the rate of profit is different.
For the NCs, the normal profit rate on fixed capital in real production
would simply equal its opportunity cost, which I guess would equal the real
interest rate on financial investment, with adjustments for risk,
liquidity, and tax differences (which begs the question of how the real
interest rate on financial investment is determined). (These "normal"
profits are typically seen as _costs_ by the NCs, so that zero-profit
equilibrium has normal profits being received.) There's some of that in
Brenner, but he also emphasizes the role of the rate of profit as
indicating the economy's capacity to generate a surplus product and thus to
accumulate capital. The profit rate also helps determine capitalists'
expected rate of profit (Keyne's marginal efficiency of capital),
determining the incentive to accumulate. Also, Brenner suggests that a low
rate of profit makes an economy more vulnerable to shocks, because more
firms are on the edge of bankruptcy. (p. 6-7) Brenner's theory is
inherently dynamic (and non-equilibrium), unlike the neoclassical theory.
(In addition, Brenner's analysis suggests that capital as a whole can
receive below-normal profit rates for long periods of time; a situation of
zero profits for him would have zero normal profits.)

Crucially, Brenner (unlike the NCs) sees class struggle as important
determinant of the rate of profit, so that the RoP is not some
technically-determined number as in marginal productivity theory: the
successful efforts by US, Japanese, and W. German capitalists to tame labor
encouraged real wages to fall behind productivity growth, which boosted the
profit rate. In theory, a strong labor movement could have stifled the
profit rate, but Brenner's evidence and argument suggests that this did not
happen in the late 1960s and early 1970s, except to the extent that labor's
resistance prevented capitalists for compensating for increased
international competition.

BTW, I haven't read all of his book (since I can't find my photocopy of the
chapters 4 and after), but I would interpret what I've read as saying that
the system of unevenly developing nation-state-based capitalism led to the
crisis, which in turn sped up the end of the nation-state-based "model,"
i.e., the spurt of globalization that has characterized the last quarter
century.

>Ben Fine has an article in the latest Capital and Class detailing this
criticism. As I understand it, policy, starting in the late 70's with
Volker were meant to re-impose discipline on the working class which had
gotten a little uppity in the 60's and 70's. Expectations were rising
perhaps.<

I haven't read Ben Fine's article. My sub to C & C expired and they never
asked me to re-sub, so I never got around to it.

The short description you give suggests what the difference is between Fine
and Brenner: whereas Fine seems to say that Volckerism was a counterattack
against the working class, which had gotten too uppity, Brenner would
interpret Volckerism as part of a continuing effort to solve US
international competition problems that had arisen in the late 1960s by
making the working class pay for efforts to boost profit rates (assuming
that the rest of Brenner's book is consistent with the part I've read).

I'd have to see both Fine's and Brenner's empirical and theoretical
arguments to decide which was right.

BTW, I am not Brenner, so I can't defend his views much further than this.
I can only defend my own views, which have some similarities to Brenner's
on some issues but add a lot on other issues. (For example, in all of his
stuff I've read, he doesn't talk about the possibility to global
competition may cause global underconsumption problems, something I stress.)

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Faculty/JDevine/jdevine.html
Bombing DESTROYS human rights. US/NATO out of Serbia!