Ken,
      According to this morning's Washington Post,
the map was from 1992.  The NIMA had produced
a newer satellite image map, but it did not have
street addresses or building IDs on it.  Some clunk,
apparently at CIA, used the address for the depository
and mistakenly put it on the Chinese embassy building
200 yards away on the same street and looking identical
from above.
      This may be a lie, but it is an all too credible one.
      BTW, a further wrinkle in all this is the interintelligence
agency bureaucratic power struggle in Washington, which
is definitely a mirror game of the highest order and is now
being carrie out under the name of this blame game.  The
finger has been pointed at CIA, but an awful lot of the input
to this has come from the NIMA.  A few weeks ago there was
a piece in the W. Post in which an ex-CIA guy was complaining
about how map creation and interpretation had been taken
away from CIA and centralized in NIMA.  NIMA is the new
kid on the block, created in only 1996 out of the Defense
Mapping Agency (whose old HQ it is located in) plus add-ons
from DIA and CIA and NRO, the supersecret latter having a
very murky role in all of this.
      One aspect of this I find rather disturbing is that a long
running aspect of this struggle has been between the Pentagon
(DOD) and the non-DOD agencies of which the CIA is the most
important.  Supposedly the Director of the CIA (currently George
Tenet) is the Director of Central Intelligence (DCI) also.  But
there has been a long running campaign by the many DOD
agencies to get rid of control from the DCI especially with
regard to budgetary control, the old bottom line.  In any case,
NIMA is a DOD agency, and, as I said, the new kid on the
spook block.  It is being treated with kid gloves in all this while
all blame is being placed on the CIA.  I see another agenda
going on here, frankly.
Barkley Rosser