Carrol Cox wrote:

>All that said, it remains one of my half dozen favorite pieces of English
>prose -- but I would not recommend it as a model of agitational style.

No, probably not. But the aesthetic, if you can call it that, of writing on
the American left these days is just deadly, and part of the reason for that
is a pervasive fear of giving offense. Wit, which has a lot to do with
aggression, is barely evident. No one but the already converted would
willingly pick up a copy of Ms. magazine or the liberal weeklies, and it's
often a sense of duty that gets the already-converted reader through an
issue. If ever there was a target deserving sharp satire and polemic, it's
the smug, brutal, and philistine U.S. ruling class of 1999, but they're not
getting what they deserve.

Doug

I totally agree.  Gore Vidal excels at using satire and wit to slice and
dice US rulers.  Noam Chomsky also drips sarcasm in his analysis of
America's ruling class and institutions, too.  And they're both
ignored by the mainstream "liberal" press (except Vidal in The Nation), as
far as I can see.

Seth Sandronsky